Mental Health Day Center, Ierapetra, Crete
The Mental Health Day Center in Ierapetra, Crete, operates as a unit providing therapeutic care and help the psychosocial rehabilitation of adults who are suffering from mental health problems related both to the condition but also their social functionality.
The daily operation program of the Center includes, apart from the personal interviews with a psychiatrist and psychologist, group activities, such as coffee, socialization, creative expression, dance and hygiene groups.
Furthermore, the Center also holds community actions on a regular basis on mental health issues, and parents’ schools at regional primary schools. It also publishes articles in the local Press providing information for the community on mental health issues in an effort to combat the social stigma.
Help Line for Psychological Support and Intervention in the Crisis
800 113 7777
Ierapetra Day Center offers diverse services for people with mental conditions, and at the same time is a meeting, creation and communication place for all in need of support and help.
The beneficiaries and their families in cooperation with the inter-disciplinary therapeutic group can share their experiences and concerns to learn to deal with their daily difficulties.
Furthermore, the Day Center, provides advice for people of vulnerable social groups, people with financial, social, business or personal problems, as well as children, parents and adolescents.
- Dealing with mental health problems at the level of primary care
- Increase of the treatment effectiveness and preventing relapses
- Improving the social capabilities of people with mental difficulties by increasing their social skills and engagement
- Care and psychosocial rehabilitation of people with severe mental disorders and concomitant psychosocial problems
- Providing information and awareness for the community on mental health issues to decrease stigma and discriminations
- Prevention of mental health issues via school programs, programs at work and neighborhoods
- Support of vulnerable social groups
- Psychological support (information, personal, group or family psychotherapy)
- Psychiatric (psychotherapy, medical treatment)
- Social (welfare issues, professional mobilization and rehabilitation)
- Nursing (care, functionality restoration, health education, diet education)
- Occupational therapy (art therapy, constructions, socialization skills)
- Consultancy (personal or group)
- Therapeutic Intervention
- Timely evaluation, diagnosis and treatment of mental disorders
- Systematic treatment and follow-up
- Psychological support on a personal and family level
- Psychosocial rehabilitation
- Post-hospitalization follow-up of people with mental disorders
- Social and work mobilization and rehabilitation
- Empowerment of families with affected members
- Facilitation in using health and welfare services
- Occupational therapy
- Art therapy & constructions
- Music, painting, photograph, library, newspaper, physical exercise groups
- Socialization via recreational, film and theater activities. Trips, social events.
- Society Awareness
- Information provided for the society on mental health issues
- Dealing with the social stigma
- Protection of patients’ rights
Development of Co-operations
In the framework of a community approach in mental health issues, Ierapetra Day Center cooperates with Psychiatric Hospitals, Psychiatric Clinics of General Hospitals, Mental Health Centers, intermediate rehabilitation facilities, such as Pensions and Boarding Houses, other Day Centers, Special Social Reintegration Centers, Local Authorities, Local Police Stations, Parents’ Associations, Volunteers’ Networks, Universities and Mass Media.